The tiny and isolated 11th century church of St Marys in Chithurst has not been changed much since it was built so it retains an air of history and simplicity. Fortunately it escaped much of the Victorian enthusiasm for 'improvements' with only some changes to the windows.
Parish registers for St Mary's are held at West Sussex Record Office and start from 1628 for baptisms, burials and marriages whilst the bishops transcripts start a little earlier in 1618. There is coverage on the International Genealogical Index for the period 1615-1819.
Chithurst comes under the Midhurst registration district until 1935 and then it is part of Midhurst & Petworth.
The parish is now included with the parish of Trotton and larger benefice of Rogate with Terwick and Trotton with Chithurst. There are services here just once a month.